Thursday, August 11, 2011

Time to Start

I have finally made that step toward saving my memories, before they are gone forever. Please be patient while I navigate my way around this adventure.

"Buckley's Island" was my own little haven of peace and innocence as I grew up.  I never understood why my school friends were so jealous of my summer vacation. I guess I just thought that every little girl had her own private island where she'd spend the days swimming, boating, playing and sleeping.

The adventure began every year on the day after school let out. My uncle bachelor uncle Phil would bring Grandma and my aunt Aggie to our house, pile us and all of our worldly possessions into that car and off we'd go for our summer island escape. Mom and Dad would stay in the City and work while we were safely snuggled under the watchful eye of a doting Grandmother, a crabby old great aunt, an attentive uncle and a loving aunt.

The adventure would start with the trip across the lake to get to this little slice of heaven. There were times when we had to row the boat, but then we got "technology" in the form of a 3 horsepower outboard Elgin motor.  We were - living the high life - when that arrived.  It would take several trips back and forth to get all the "bodies" and all the supplies over to that island. The weather never stopped us. If we were headed to the "lake" we were going to get there come hell or high water.

My mom sent enough food along to feed an army. It was a good thing, because on the weekends we usually had to FEED an ARMY, as the relatives would arrive to enjoy a break from the hot city. . Those weekends will be the source of a lot of my memories

These are memories that my own children will never experience. They missed out on so much because we moved out of state, when they were little girls. They do remember the swaying trees, the lapping of the water against the boats, the "grand breeze" that skipped across the hill and the lovely sunsets from the vantage point a this little piece of property in the middle of a small lake

I'm stopping for now, because I have to get my mind a little organized. I want to be able to share the full experience of this time in my life. This will keep me busy for months to come.

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I look forward to future memories. Good job, Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a lot of fun for you. And us too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! You're off to grand start, and I look forward to watching your progress. Looks like to me that you're "a natural".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're painting a picture, Dix!! That's what makes a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear more about the amphicar! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait Gramma! This is going to be exciting. It's too bad we didn't get to go see the Island when we visited,or Tugboat Annie's.Maybe next time.It's all because of the traffic too! :))

    ReplyDelete